Multiple layer farming is the best technique of farming in which we can grow more crops at the same field. (Such as-3, 4, 5 crops at same field).This Best methods was proposed to Indian government by Mr. Akash Chaurasia . he was from sagar district of madhya pradesh in India.
In this technique; we do the plantation of crops into layer by layer (soil layer). Each layer contains one kind of seeds. In this technique, we have sown the plant (seeds) by knowing their root depth (measuring).
- 1 Differences b/w multiple farming and multiple layer farming-
- 2 How to prepare a field for multi-layer farming-
- 3 Procedure to establish of multi-layer –
- 4 Procedure to sown the 5 crops in same field:
- 5 Benefits of sowing leafy vegetables on the surface of soil bed.-
- 6 There are many problems faced by farmers and all type of problems is end by multi-layer farming;
- 7 For farming; 4 things are very important. i.e.
Differences b/w multiple farming and multiple layer farming-
The basic difference is- In multiple farming, we sowed seeds at only one layer. And in multiple layer farming, we sowed the seeds on many layer at same place.
Multiple layer farming includes-
2 layer farming= 2 crops at same place. e.g. – sugarcane and cabbage
3 layer farming= 3 crops at same place. e.g. – ginger, turmeric, garlic
4 layer farming= 4 crops at same place. e.g. – ginger/turmeric, leafy vegetable, creepers, papaya
5 layer farming= 5 crops at same place. e.g. – ginger, 2 leafy vegetable, creepers, papaya
6 layer farming= 6 crops at same place. e.g. – ginger, turmeric, 2 leafy vegetable, creepers, papaya
More eg of 2 layer farming-
- Ginger & tomato
- Ginger & papaya
- Tomato & papaya
- Tomato & marigold
Mix cropping & Intercropping- in mix cropping, two seeds are mixed together then sown into the field. But in intercropping, firstly one crop is sown into the field then second crop will inter into it. E.g. of multiple layer farming- Akash chaurasia- grow 32 kg tomato per plant and 34 quintal wheat per acer.
NOTES- in multiple layer farming, we can use 28 to 30 types of compost and medicine made by naturally cow products. That is Organic compost and medicine.
How to prepare a field for multi-layer farming-
First of all, we make a buffer zone around the farm.
How to make a buffer zone and its benefits- If you have no more fields then it is not so necessary. In buffer zone, we sowed the trees around the field in 3 rows and also make a drain after 3rd row. Sown the tree at zigzag position. Distance between two rows is 3 ft. and distance between two trees in a Row is 10 ft. we should sown the trees alternately.
e.g. of row 1= bamboo, neem, imli, jamun.
e.g. of row 2= mango, nimboo, aawla.
e.g. of row 3= banana, guava, pomegranate.
Benefits of buffer zone
- It saves the crops from high pressure of wind.
- Increase the income of farmers.
- It maintains the biodiversity.
After making of buffer zone, we dig the soil and put the bamboo of 9 ft. height into it as the way sown into the fig.
Measurement of bamboo= 9 ft. in height. 1 ft. below the ground (means 1 ft. bamboo put under the soil). 1 to 2 ft. bamboo left above the shed. And shed height will be 7 ft. Distance b/w 2 row= 5 ft. Distance b/w 2 bamboo= 6 ft.
After put the bamboo, we make the shed of dry leaf above 7 ft. from ground.
Wire is used to make the net above the bamboo. and the measurement of bamboo is- Bamboo to bamboo= 20 guage wire used. and Row to row= 16-18 guage wire used. We tie the wire per half ft.
About shed- change the shed every year. Make the shed above the bamboo with the help of dry wood or leaf such as-paddy, mustard waste, dry sugarcane, coconut leaf, etc.
Its benefits- save crop from frost, stop 50% sunlight, less effect of winter, etc.
Soil bed measurements– height= 1 ft. and width = 3-4 ft.
Further we sown the crops and plants into the field regarding with plant’s root zone and their depth-
|Crops||Its root depth|
|Papaya (tap rooted)||2-2.5 ft.|
|Leafy vegetable||Up to 2-3 inches|
|Creepers||9 inch to 2 ft.|
Example of creepers– cucumber, bitter ground, bottle gourd, parwal, beans, pea, kundru, gram.
Example of leafy vegetable– spinach, coriander, fenugreek.
Procedure to establish of multi-layer –
- Soil aeration with mix of ghanjivamrit into the soil.
- Pointed the surface of soil (where bamboo will be put) with help of thread and chuna powder.
- Dig the pointed surface and put the bamboo into it.
- After putting bamboo into dug surface, making shed of dry leaf by using of 16 and 18 gauge wires.
- After that we make the soil bed of 1 ft. height and 3-4 ft. width.
- After all, we will cover the field with the help of green cloths or any sharee up to 8-9 ft. And the harmful pests fly under 7 ft. so no any types of pests or insects come from outer sides and no any types of weeds spores comes into our field from outsides.
- Then we will sow the crops.
Procedure to sown the 5 crops in same field:
(1). First of all, we will sow ginger and turmeric-
|Width of soil bed||No. of row of turmeric/ginger plant|
|3 ft.||3 row|
|4 ft.||4 row|
Sow ginger/turmeric 3 to 5 inches depth
(2). Then we will sow the creepers- creepers are sown near the bamboo as shown in fig.
Sown the seeds of creepers at 4 to 6 inches depth. At one place 2 seeds are sown.
(3). After sown of creepers and ginger/turmeric, broadcasting of seeds of leafy vegetables such as coriander, spinach etc.
(4).After all, we will sow the papaya plants- spacing= 12 ft.-18 ft. ; In 1 acer, 202 plants of papaya are sown. Sown into the field at month- Dec. – Jan.
Papaya plant ready- making nursery outside the field. Notes- when 60% leafy vegetables end from the field then sowed the papaya plants.
Benefits of sowing leafy vegetables on the surface of soil bed.-
- Leafy vegetables are nitrogen based crops; it acts as mulching process that saves ginger/turmeric from harmful sunlight.
- leafy vegetables occupy approx all Space b/w the crops so it is not possible to grow any types of weeds and germination of any weed’s spores because they will not get any types of nutrition.
- One most important benefit of sowing leafy vegetables is that the time taken to grow for ginger and turmeric is approx 2 months and that time is best for growing of weeds. So, save the field from the weeds we will sow the leafy vegetables over all area. There are many benefits of growing leafy vegetables i.e. it helps to provide us income after 15 days from sowing.
NOTE- For growing of plants –there are 3 things that are important. i.e.
- Food (nutrition) = by leaf.
- Water= 10% of water by roots and 90% of water by moisture of atmosphere.
- Respiration = by roots (for better respiration, better soil aeration is most important).
Irrigation in multi-layer farming- mini fogger sprinkler (in 1 acer- Rs. 15-20 thousands). = bamboo to bamboo – 5 by 5 ft.
How multi-layer farming helps in better aeration- leafy vegetables are ready for uproot after 15 days. After uprooted, soil become aerates and this is important for respiration of plants. As this way, multi-layer farming helps in soil aeration.
Insects and pests problem in our Field-
Insects in our fields by 2 methods-
- Born in our field- born by 2 cause:
- Excess water (in multi-layer farming, there is no any wastes of water. We use 100% of water in this type of farming. So there are no pests are born in our field.)
- Excess weeds (there is no any weeds in our field. So, no any types of pests are born.)
- Comes from outer side- (we cover the field with the help of green cloths or any sharee up to 8-9 ft. And the harmful pests fly under 7 ft. so no any types of pests or insects come from outer sides.)
As this way we save our field from insects and pests with the help of multi-layer farming.
There are many problems faced by farmers and all type of problems is end by multi-layer farming;
|Problems faced by farmers||Solution of that problems by multi-layer farming|
|1. Lack of land||=in other type of farming, farmers do the farming of 4-5 crops at 3-4 fields but in multi-layer farming, farmers use only 1 field for growing 4-5 crops.|
|2. Available of poisoness food||=in multi-layer farming, there are 27-30 organic composts and medicines are used. So no any foods become poison.|
|3. Fertility of soil be decrease||=by using of jivamrit and ghanjivamrit, fertility of soil is increase.|
|4. Lack of water||= in multi-layer farming, 100% of water is used and no any water is waste.|
|5. Attack of wild animals.||=any animals attack in the field b/c they see green colour plant in your field but in multi-layer farming, we cover the field with sharee and cloths up to 7-8 ft.|
|6. Weeds control.||=weeds grow by 2 causes; i.e.|
· Spores comes from outside (not possible b/c cover fields with the help of cloths)
· Space b/w the crops (not possible b/c all space of field are cover by leafy vegetables.)
|7. Insects and pests attack||= insects in our fields by 2 methods-|
1. Born in our field- born by 2 cause:
· Excess water (in multi-layer farming, there is no any wastes of water. We use 100% of water in this type of farming. So there are no pests are born in our field.)
· Excess weeds (there is no any weeds in our field. So, no any types of pests are born.)
2. Comes from outer side- (we cover the field with the help of green cloths or any sharee up to 8-9 ft. And the harmful pests fly under 7 ft. so no any types of pests or insects come from outer sides.)
|8. High pressure of hot wind||=not possible b/c we will cover the field with the help of sharee and many clothes.|
|9. High temperature of sun||=shed saves the crops from high temperature of sun.|
|10. Lack of money||=if farmers are doing multi-layer farming, the income comes from this farming after 15 days from sowing.|
And the total income from this farming is 10-12 lakhs per year.
For farming; 4 things are very important. i.e.
- Soil selection for crops= generally 3 types of soil found in N-E India. i.e.
- Black cotton- grains (wheat and mustard)
- Sandy-all crops whose eating part is their fruit (bottle guard)
- Loam-bulb and tuber like crops (means those crops grow under the soil such as-ginger/turmeric)
- Seed selection=only desi seeds.
- Soil treatment= add 20 kg chuna and 30 -50 kg neem powder into ghanjivamrit and mix them into soil before tillage.
- Seed treatment= by bijamrit.
- ZERO BUDGET NATURAL FARMING : Overview, Importance and methods
- Vegetable Production : Most Profitable Agribusiness
- Vermi-Farming : A Cheap method of farming
It is Arpan Priy Das from west champaran, Bihar. Arpan started his blog about agricultural information named as “ECOHILLAGRI.COM ” He started his blog ecohillagri.com to help many agricultural or other students as well as farmers. so, it is necessary for them to learn about agriculture that is useful for students as well as farmers and that all concepts are present in this blog.